Thursday, December 6, 2012

What Makes A Great Debut Author Website?

I decided to overhaul my website to celebrate the release of my debut novel, THE BALLAD OF JESSIE PEARL. I spent lots of time looking at the websites of debut authors and the three that influenced me the most were the websites of Barbara Elizabeth Walsh, Caroline Starr Rose, and Augusta Scattergood. I decided to combine the things I love most from each of these sites and worked with Linda Kaufman of Kaufman Web Consulting to design my own.

What I like best about Barbara Elizabeth Walsh's website is the vivid use of color. Linda and I played around with a red much like that used in The Poppy Lady, but ultimately decided green suited the feel of my website better.


What I love about Caroline Starr Rose's website is a page called "For Teachers." She has a free May B. study guide available on her site. Since my book is also historical fiction, I thought this was a stellar marketing tool. I worked with curriculum designer, Debbie Gonzales and she crafted a curriculum guide for THE BALLAD OF JESSIE PEARL that is linked to the Common Core State Standards. You can view my guide here.



From Augusta Scattergood I borrowed the idea of a page called "For The Press." I like the idea of having a book cover and author picture easily accessible for bloggers, bookstore owners, and others who want to help promote our books.


I also took a look at more established author websites to make sure Linda and I have a plan to easily adapt my site when I have other books to promote. By reducing the size of the book cover on the home page, we can easily add more books, and there's room inside the curtain to add several more book trailers.

Do you have a favorite author website? Leave a link in the comments so I can take a look at it. And I hope you'll check out my new site



13 comments:

  1. How did I miss your book deal, Shannon? Congratulations! I'm already dying to read it. Happy to do an interview at my place, if you're interested, or feature your book for my Classroom Connections series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, I would love to do an interview and/or have you feature my book for you Classroom Connections series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me an email, and I'll set it up! caroline starr AT yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your site is attractive and easy to navigate! Just one thing--when I view it (on Internet Explorer) your (very nice!) author photo covers some of the writing. You might want to see if you can adjust that. Otherwise, it all looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, for the feedback, Ann. Different browsers are tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new website, Shannon. And I found it very interesting the way you shared your decision-making process here on the blog. Do I have a favorite author website? Hmmmm. I can't say that one comes to mind, but now you've got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The press page is especially brilliant, I think.
    As for a favorite author website, I can't say that I have one, but I haven't been checking many out, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ruth. I think most authors will either set up a website or do an overhaul at some point so it seemed a relevant topic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I sometimes interview other authors and I'm always scouting around for a picture and the book cover. Having them handy is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just hired someone to redo my website and these are great tips! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to change my blog theme during winter break. Last year I only changed the background color. I try to be as organized as possible and have information easy to find. I love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Christina and Medeia and good luck with your updates!

    ReplyDelete