Saturday, March 12, 2011

Switching Teams: From PC to MacBook Pro!

Time and technology wait for no writer! My husband gifted me with a new Macbook Pro for Christmas and an i-Phone 4 for my birthday.

Let's start with the phone. The i-Phone is the easiest cell phone to use I have ever owned. It also doubles as an i-Pod so I can listen to music. With one touch of the screen, I can access my email when traveling. I adore my i-Phone!

After many years using a PC, I've had a bit of trouble switching to a Mac. Here are some tips based on my experience.

1. The Apple Store is your friend. For a small fee they will transfer the files from your PC to your Mac, and provide one-on-one tutoring.

2. MacBook For Dummies is a very helpful manual.

3. For backup purposes you can't beat "My Passport for Mac." It's a small black box that plugs into one of the Mac's USB ports and provides automatic, continuous backup. (Cost $100)

4. Good-bye virus scans. So far Macs are virus free!

5. My electronics are in-sync! I charge my phone by plugging it into the Mac's USB port and it syncs any music I've purchased via computer with my phone/i-Pod.

I checked in with a couple of writer friends who also use Macs and here's what they had to say:

"I can painlessly and effortlessly sync everything for the first time in my entire life. I can get apps like QuickCal, which make my life easier by orders of magnitude, yet are free or mainly cost me less than ten bucks. I can listen to music I like on Pandora because it magically arrives on my i-Phone - and all I had to do was name one thing for it to do that." Gina Hagler

Cynthia Willis says: "If I have a problem the Apple Store is nearby. I simply bring my laptop in and the problem is fixed. I also love all the software that comes with a Mac - iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie. My one and only gripe would be that Macs tend to outdate themselves very quickly. Visiting an Apple Store with a three-year-old computer is like walking in with a dinosaur in your arms."

I haven't taken the time yet to explore all of the software that Cynthia mentions. I'm finding the Mac to be a continuous learning process...I still haven't figured out how to add pictures to my blog. The Apple Store employees have their work cut out for them!

Please share any advantages/disadvantages you've experienced with the Mac. And if you have questions, post them and I'll ask one of my more experienced friends to chime in!



6 comments:

  1. I don't own a MAC, but reading this post has made me feel that maybe, in my next computer dream, I'll end up getting a MAC instead of a PC. Hmm hmm hmmm.

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Shannon. I really want an iphone. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat, definitely consider a Mac. I think the best way to make a decision is to schedule a half hour with a friend who owns a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, I would recommend an iPhone for everybody I know. I've owned 7 or 8 different phones and this one has the most features and they're easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Mac. And my iPad and my iPhone...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have an iPad, but my husband has one for work and he loves it.

    ReplyDelete